Writing software, the wrong way

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Generic IE policies in Firefox

This is something neat that I cannot take credit for. I just put it in a tree-friendly extension. I got the source onto an svn repository for people to play around with :

svn://cdot.senecac.on.ca/ff-ad

I put up some slightly more detailed steps into the wiki on how to set up Firefox. In the meantime, some explanation of what IE settings means for Firefox.

IE has several policies that Firefox can use, for example you can disable tabs and the help menu. Below we have the example of turning off the help menu

Ignore the bit about IE for a moment.

If you open up Firefox, you get the predicted results

Which is ok. If you look elsewhere, you'll see that not all the help functionality is disabled.

Which is something that still needs to be fixed. I also found some javascript errors that I would like to fix as well.

But the problem now is the overwhelming amount of policies in place. Mike's blog should help me out a fair bit with this, as he has got some response. More updates as this goes along.

==UPDATE==
So I was a little bit wrong. If you read the entire IE policy, it doesn't explicitly say that all help functionality will be turned off. To make a liar out of me, you can go into Options and click on the question mark at the top-right corner and help will popup. Just the help menu is disabled it seems (and F1).

No comments: